Here is a complete guide on how you can fix slow download speed issue on Origin. The Origin desktop client allows Windows users to download games and other game-related content from Electronic Arts. However, some users reported slow download speed on Origin. As they reported, games and updates take forever to download. It can be frustrating to watch your games download so slowly. Now if you are one of those with the same problem, this post is for you. You can follow the fixes that we have mentioned here to get rid of the problem.
How to increase Origin’s download speed?
To increase Origin’s download speed, make sure you are connected to a stable and good speed internet connection. Apart from that, turn your network device off and on again, run Origin with administrator rights, update your network driver, etc. You can even try to start Origin in R&D mode which would provide better download speed. We have discussed all of these methods in detail; so check it out below.
Fixed Origin’s slow download speed
Here are the methods you can try to resolve the slow download speeds issue in Origin:
- Check your internet connection.
- Power cycle your router.
- Make sure your network card driver is updated.
- Run Origin as an administrator.
- Troubleshoot in a clean boot state.
- Restart Origin in R&D mode.
- Delete the original cache file.
- Reinstall Origin.
1]Check your Internet connection
You must be connected to a stable internet to download games and content to the Origin client. So, check your internet connection and make sure that you are not having internet connectivity issue.
If there are any WiFi connectivity issues, you can try to fix them. Also, make sure that you have sufficient internet speed to download content from Origin. Test your internet speed and if it is slow you will need to contact your ISP or upgrade your internet plan. Apart from this, you can also try to disconnect several other devices connected to the same network so that your main device can use all the bandwidth.
If all is well with your internet, try the next potential solution to resolve the issue.
See: Fixed an original error when loading the web page.
2]Power cycle your router
The network issue could be caused by a corrupt or bad router cache that is slowing the download speed on Origin. If the scenario applies, you can restart your router or modem to clear the router cache. To do this, you can follow the steps below:
- First, press the power button on your router to turn it off.
- Now unplug the device from the main switch and wait at least 30 seconds to let it turn off completely.
- Then plug in your router and restart it.
- After that, reconnect to the internet and open Origin. See if that helps improve the download speed.
3]Make sure your network card driver is updated
If you continue to have the same problem, the corrupted or outdated network driver may be to blame. So you need to make sure that your network card driver is up to date. You update network drivers using the following methods:
After updating your network drivers, open the Origin client and see if the download speed is better or not.
Read: Origin DirectX Configuration Error: An internal error has occurred.
4]Run Origin as administrator
The problem can be caused if Origin does not have administrator privileges to properly use all of its functions. So in this case, running the Origin client as administrator will help you fix the problem. Just go to the Origin icon on the desktop and right click on it. Then select the Execute as administrator possibility to launch it with administrator rights.
If this fixes the slow download speed issue, you will need to launch Origin as an administrator each time you want to use it. For your convenience, you can make Origin always run with administrator privileges. For that, you can follow the steps below:
- First, go to Origin’s desktop shortcut, right click on it and select the Properties option.
- Now go to Compatibility tab and check the Run this program as administrator check box.
- After that, press Apply button> OK to save changes.
- Then relaunch Origin and see if the issue is resolved or not.
If you’re still having the same slow download speed issue on Origin, move on to the next potential fix to fix it.
5]Troubleshooting in a clean boot state
Slow download speed and other performance issues with the Origin client can be caused by conflicts or interference from background apps (for example, Steam). If the scenario applies, you should be able to resolve the issue by performing a clean boot. To do this, follow the steps below:
- First, press Windows logo key combination + R to bring up the Run dialog box.
- Now type msconfig in the Open box, then press the Enter button to open the System Configuration window.
- Then go to the Services tab and check the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox, and then press the Disable all button.
- After that go to the Startup tab and press Open the task manager.
- Then, in Task Manager, disable all startup programs.
- Finally, go back to the System Configurations window and press the OK button to save the changes.
You can restart your PC to a clean state and then open Origin to check if the issue is now resolved or not.
See: Correction file does not exist – Original error.
6]Restart Origin in R&D mode
Many users have reported that starting Origin in R&D mode, that is, Research and Development mode, improves download speed. This mode is intended for Origin developers. Now, to start Origin in R&D mode, follow the steps below:
First, close the Origin client.
Now right click on the desktop and then choose the New> Text document to generate an empty text document.
Then open the text document and copy and paste the lines below into the document:
[connection] EnvironmentName=production [Feature] CdnOverride=akamai
After that click on File> Save As and enter EACore.ini as the file name, then hit the Save button.
When the above file is created, start Origin and press Yes on the USE DESKTOP CONFIGURATION FILE pop-up window.
See if this method works for you or not. Otherwise, go to the next potential fix to resolve the issue.
Read: Dragon Age: Origins crashes on a Windows PC.
7]Delete the original cache file
If the above fixes did not help, clearing the cache may help resolve the issue. The corrupted cache associated with the Origin client can be a reason why you are facing slow download speed. So delete the Origin cache file to fix the problem. You can use the following steps to do so:
- First of all, make sure that Origin is completely closed and for that, click on Origin in the menu bar and press on the Exit option. Also open Task Manager and make sure that no Origin related process is running in the background.
- Now open Run using the key combination Win + R and enter % ProgramData% / Origin inside.
- Then delete all files and folders inside the opened directory except Local content.
- After that bring up the Run dialog box using the Win + R keyboard shortcut and enter% AppData% in it.
- Once you’re in the Roamin folder, delete the Origin folder.
- Then navigate to the AppData folder using the address bar and open the Local folder.
- Then delete the Origin folder.
- Finally, restart your PC and then launch Origin to check if the problem is resolved or not.
See: Error installing GeForce Game Ready driver on Windows.
If none of the above solutions worked for you, you might need to consider reinstalling the Origin client to resolve the issues. In some cases, the problem could be caused by a corrupt installation of the application. Therefore, reinstalling the app should help you resolve the issue. You must first uninstall the Origin client from your PC. After that, download Origin’s installer from its official website and then reinstall it on your PC. See if that fixes the problem for you.
Hope this helps you!
Why is Origin so slow?
The reason Origin is slow may be the corrupted cache associated with it. You can try clearing Origin’s cache files to resolve the issue. If the problem is due to software conflicts or internet issues, you can try the fixes that we have mentioned in this article.