Before becoming the Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle had a varied career that included playing Rachel Zane in Suits and working as a freelance calligrapher.
Meghan, who ran lifestyle blog The Tig from 2014 to 2017, made international headlines in 2016 when she started dating Prince Harry.
Here’s everything you need to know about Meghan and her varied career.
What roles has Meghan held in her varied career?
- 1993: At age 11, Meghan Markle makes her first appearance on television, denouncing a “sexist” advertisement by Procter & Gamble for Ivory dish soap.
- 1995: Markle works at a frozen yogurt store called Humphrey Yogart.
- 2002: Markle lands her first official television acting credit as Nurse Jill, a small role in General Hospital.
- Early 2000s: Markle worked on shows like CSI, The League and Knight Rider, as well as a recurring role on 90210.
- 2005: Markle worked as a freelance calligrapher – with jobs including the wedding invitations for Paula Patton and Robin Thicke’s nuptials in 2005.
- 2007: Markle appeared as one of the briefcase girls on Deal or No Deal.
- 2009: Markle starred in a Tostitos commercial in 2009.
- 2010: Markle starred opposite Robert Pattinson in Remember Me as a bartender.
- 2011: Markle lands her breakout role as Rachel Zane on Suits.
- 2014: Markle started a lifestyle blog called The Tig, named after her favorite wine.
- 2016: Markle appeared as a guest judge on Food Network‘s Chopped Junior.
- November 27, 2017: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announce their engagement.
- November 29, 2017: Confirmation that Markle will leave Suits after seven seasons.
- May 19, 2018: Prince Harry and Meghan were married in St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle.
- 2018-2019: Meghan and Prince Harry embarked on a number of royal appearances and charity trips within the Royal Family.
- 2019: Meghan tries her hand at bookbinding during her royal tour of Africa.
- January 2020: The couple shared their decision to be ‘financially independent’ and take ‘a bit of a step back’ from the Royal Family.
- March 2020: Now living in Canada, Meghan and Prince Harry returned to the UK for their final engagements as senior royals.
- September 2020: Meghan and Prince Harry sign a production deal with Netflix.
- October 2020: Meghan and Prince Harry found Archewell Inc.
- February 19, 2021: Buckingham Palace confirms that Prince Harry and Meghan will no longer work for the Royal Family.
- May 17, 2021: Meghan makes an appearance in the official trailer for Prince Harry and Oprah Winfrey’s mental health docuseries, The Me You Can’t See.
- June 8, 2021: Meghan publishes her first children’s book, The Bench.
- July 14, 2021: Confirmation that Meghan will executive produce Netflix children’s series Pearl.
- August 29, 2022: Meghan gives an interview to New York publication The Cut, in which she talks about her children and what she wants to do next.
- August 30, 2022: Meghan launches the Archetypes podcast, which features interviews with celebrities such as Serena Williams.
- October 19, 2022: Meghan gives a revealing interview to Variety, in which she reflects on her past and present career, as well as her relationship with Prince Harry.